Accessify Forum - Accessibility Discussion

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

What type of menu is suitable for a mobile website

• Reply to topic

Home / Site Building & Testing / What type of menu is suitable for a mobile website

Dropdown menu for mobile version of website

Good Idea 50%  50%  [ 1 ]

Bad Idea 50%  50%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

Reply with quote What the best way to show a website menu on a mobile version of a website. I like to use a drop down as I find it easy to use. Is it ok to do it like this, is this bad or good for accessibility? What are other people ideas?
School Web Design
Reply with quote Might be worth checking out http://www.w3.org/… for info on best practices? Touch screen devices will have a problem if you’re relying on Hover states for your drop down menu.

<select>
<option>Home</option>
<option>Other Page</option>
</select>

In my experience, many bad phones are too stupid to load the media=”handheld” instead of the media=”screen” stylesheet. So they try and laying out out the full website on their tiny screen.

Others of them don’t load CSS at all and will degrade somewhat gracefully if your pages are well-structured with semantic HTML. Navigation bars become bulleted lists of links which is a bit sad. If 80% of your mobile audience are using totally ‘dumb phones’ then I’d suggest going way old school. Inline links separated by vertical bars for your navigation menu with no CSS at all.

Drop-down lists (that is the correct GUI term, at least in Windows parlance) are indeed a compact way to provide navigation on tiny screens. But these controls are often painful to interact with, in my experience. Remember, you can’t use a mouse on a dumb phone and the list often won’t fit on the screen once opened!

Dumb phones are pretty much extinct by now. I wouldn’t worry about them unless there’s proof of your website audience wanting to access your website using them.

• Reply to topic