Accessify Forum - Independent Accessibility Discussion Since 2003; Professional, Moderated, Web-based, Archived

New to the forum?

Only an email address is required.

Register Here

Already registered? Log In

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

How long does blogging take you?

Reply with quote From having the idea to creating, writing, checking and publishing the page takes me about 40 minutes for a significant entry. For a trivial entry, it’s under 10 minutes.

How do I know this? Because I timed how long it takes me to blog.

Is your blogging speed about the same? Do blogging systems make it much faster than my text-editor-and-FTP-client approach? Discuss! (In your own time… Very Happy)
Reply with quote With me it varies greatly on the nature of the post and whether it’s ‘off the top of my head’ stuff or whether it requires a bit of research and the setting up of links etc. I usually go for the latter as I don’t really blog that often, and I often take more than one session composing a post (to fit in with lunch breaks etc) so it’s difficult to know exactly how long it takes in total.

With regard to blogging tools, though, WordPress certainly makes the task an absolute breeze so that saves time. I don’t think I’ve ever composed and released a post in just 10 mins though!

James Coltham – NHS web content manager by day, web and accessibility blogger at lunchtime, freelancer by night. Tweets at @prettysimple.
Reply with quote Yes, it does seem that most of the time is in the writing and personal QA process. Since mine is a personal blog and yours is a sort-of-professional blog, it makes sense that you generally don’t have 10-minute entries.

You include a photo with nearly all your blogs, I see. Does that take long to source, size, get clearance and do any technical stuff to code it into the HTML and upload it through your blogging system? Does the blogging system (or other links in your toolchain) streamline this?
Reply with quote No, photos don’t take long at all – a few minutes to optimise and resize perhaps, but uploading and adding to a post is a 30 second job thanks (again) to WordPress.

James Coltham – NHS web content manager by day, web and accessibility blogger at lunchtime, freelancer by night. Tweets at @prettysimple.
Reply with quote It’s quicker to tweet Razz

Johan De Silva / Portfolio
Reply with quote tweets are limited, and most the time useless, unless they link to a blog post, or some other source of information.. Just my own experiences with them. Laughing

Brugbart Webdesign

Last edited by MasterUki on 07 Jan 2010 07:54 am; edited 1 time in total
MasterUki wrote:
tweets are limited, and most the time useless
You are obviously following the wrong people Laughing

Jack Pickard The Pickards Information Services| Blog | Twit
Reply with quote Hmm, maybe I’ve just gotten it wrong. I don’t get the idea about twitter, the messages you post are limited, so you have to blog anyway, or use services like tiny url to get your message through. I don’t get whats it about, thats all. Can’t see the usefulness of twitter compared to rss feeds from personal blogs neither.

I’m not exactly blogging much, but i could spend hours on a single post, only to return later to improve it even more. Not to mention, change content to match keywords in a natural looking way and so on.

Twitter is likely more for lazy bloggers, or people to busy to blog, who would rather locate information, and then post a tiny url link on their twitter page.
Reply with quote Just what I’ve been waiting for:

“Ladieeeeees and Gentlemeeeen…in the red corner, please welcome the current Social Champion – I give you ‘The Blooooooogers’! And the up and coming contender, in the blue corner – ‘The Tweeeeeeters’!”

Nah, seriously though. I remember some people saying that Twitter wouldn’t last, but it has. I did try it briefly, but it practically took over my life.

I can see the benefits of both: Blogs are great for well researched, well thought out topics, etc. Twitter, though limited to 140 characters, can be extremely useful too. Can’t remember the exact occasions, but I believe members were tweeting about natural and man-made disasters long before the news agencies picked up on them – and well ahead of RSS feeds.

I happen to know one prolific blogger, who happens also to be a fair tweeter (take a bow JackP!).

Guess what I’m trying to say is that both mediums have their own peculiar advantages and disadvantages.

Cheers! Smile
Reply with quote One very eloquent commentator once described Twitter as being like a sort of “social proprioception”—providing a fleeting but continuous insight into what one’s friends and colleagues are up to at any given time.

It is very different from blogging, in that blogging works best for a discrete, diaristic approach to writing, whereas Twitter’s brevity and simplicity encourages a more continuous stream of consciousness. Instead of a detailed retrospective account of a particular topic you get momentary thoughts and impressions—rather like a narrator’s commentary on your friends’ lives.
Reply with quote In my opinion it depends of if it have to be a grammatically correct post or not.

For many non-native English speakers (like me) it takes greater time to post anything grammatically correct or not Razz And sometimes despite of the efforts it is not perfect :/
steveodds wrote:
In my opinion it depends of if it have to be a grammatically correct post or not.

For many non-native English speakers (like me) it takes greater time to post anything grammatically correct or not Razz And sometimes despite of the efforts it is not perfect :/

Totally agree, it is harder for a none native english speaker.

by the way I have a good friend from Lublin.
Reply with quote I usually have a few posts that I work on simultaneously but some can take a whole day and others up to an hour.
Ben Millard wrote:
From having the idea to creating, writing, checking and publishing the page takes me about 40 minutes for a significant entry. For a trivial entry, it’s under 10 minutes.

How do I know this? Because I timed how long it takes me to blog.

Is your blogging speed about the same? Do blogging systems make it much faster than my text-editor-and-FTP-client approach? Discuss! (In your own time… Very Happy)

Ben, thanks for this Topic, I’m doing a Thesis about blogging and microblogging for creative communication and this is very useful.
For me to blog could take an hour: write the post, search and add the images or videos, etc, it depends on your inspiration, what you want to said and how professional you want your post to be. Microblogging is a great tool to make short live reports, share blog post links, and is a great tool to learn to summarize what you want to say in 140 characters when the message has to be directly and interesting to wake people’s curiosity to read it, and this could take a couple of minutes, deppendidng on your short word skills Wink
Reply with quote Generally, the most time consuming posts are the ReviewMe reviews because they require that I do some research. For other posts, the actually writing time isn’t that long, it’s all the research that goes into it that takes up the most time.

Page 1 of 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next