Accessify Forum - Discuss Website Accessibility

New to the forum?

Only an email address is required.

Register Here

Already registered? Log In

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

RNIB Web access seminars

Reply with quote RNIB is running Web access seminars across the UK in October and November, in conjunction with AbilityNet. The seminars are aimed at web designers of all levels. They will include presentations, demonstrations and discussion groups. We will demonstrate that the inclusive approach to web design is both practical and achievable. More information and an online registration form can be found at http://www.rnib.org.uk/webaccessseminars. The seminars are sponsored by Standard Life, and places are charged at the subsidised rate of £50 per delegate.

RNIB has also launched a free online resource for web designers called the Web access centre, sponsored by Standard Life. Content can be accessed at http://www.rnib.org.uk/webaccesscentre. The site is aimed at web designers, developers and project managers and provides as much help as possible to make your site accessible to people with disabilities. This includes providing information to add to project proposals and how to evaluate your site, as well as techniques. Content is broken down into the following areas:

*Understanding accessibility
What is accessibility, myths surrounding accessibility, how people with disabilities access the net...

*The case for Accessibility
The ethical, legal and business cases for accessibility...

*Implementing accessibility
Testing your site, planning and evaluation with new site builds and retrofits, accessibility checklists...

*Checkpoints and techniques
Based on the Website Accessibility Initiative we outline techniques for all aspects of design and build...

*Case studies
BT Intranet, UK Online...

*Resources
Links, glossary, checkpoint quickfind...

Lis Angle
Best Practice Officer (Accessible Websites)
RNIB

Last edited by lisangle on 10 Sep 2003 03:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply with quote Thanks Lis, I gave it a shout on Accessify.com too.

Accessify Forum Administrator ~ Nigel Peck / Starstream
"Everything I say is not meant to be set in stone" - Van Morrison
Reply with quote Thank you, I most certainly will be attending the one in Belfast.
Reply with quote I attended the seminar yesterday and I have to say I was a little let down. The content of the presentation was fine if not a little too low a level for me but the workshop which preceeded was badly prepared and really a waste of time. Has anyone attended or is going to attend this seminar?
Reply with quote Hi Daz,
Just read Nigels RNIB interview, and it seems to follow the same vein.
Is there a consensus the seminars aren't up to scratch?
Is RNIB's content or marketing material insufficient?

Designory :: Design & Marketing
tel: (0845) 056 8392
www.designory.co.uk
Reply with quote I thought the general overview was good for any novices but I expected to learn something from the workshop and to be perfectly frank the guy was neither prepared nor did he even inspire confidence in me that he knew what he was talking about. To test a site for accessibility the first thing he did was run it through Bobby, that'd be the last thing I'd do!!
I appreciate a lot of web accessibility is subjective so I think this why such seminars need to be more hands on and more driven by the attendees.
Reply with quote I disagree, I would say that Bobby testing is a good first step for people on Accessibility testing, it points out things they need to look at and also explains why they should look at them. Why would that be the last thing you would do?

Cheers,
Nigel

Reply with quote Because it brings up "errors" which aren't actually errors at all. Personally I'd navigate the site first of all and then look at the source code. I'd be confident by the time I ran it through Bobby I'd have spotted everything as you develop and eye for the things to look out for.
Reply with quote I agree but this is not something that I think should be taught at a seminar such as this as it takes time to develop those skills and Bobby is a good help towards developing them.

Reply with quote Well he ran Bobby and started investigating an error, half way through this point a lady had to ask what Bobby was! Personally I wouldn't have went near it but instead looked at a page, picked simple problems out and taken time to explain to people why they are problems. After which you could demonstrate Bobby, WAVE and Cynthia Says as examples of validators which reinforce things you should be aware of during development.
Reply with quote Yes I see your point, I agree Bobby is probably best left until the most common errors have been covered, good point Smile

Cheers,
Nigel

Reply with quote It's not like me to make sense! Very Happy
Reply with quote Well, just come back from the Bristol one and it is very basic. It would be a very good intoduction though. Anyone already reading Accessify and posting here is probably already beyond it. Judging by the questions asked there, many aren't quite as up to speed as those here though, so I'd say it's probably pitched at the right level.

The breakouts sessions are pretty free-form, so to make the most of it'd be best to prepare some questions first. The demonstations of Jaws were interesting, and there were various useful snippets of info thoughout (apart from one shocking bit of advice implying you only needed to validate forms server side if it hadn't been validated with js - setting a flag in the form to say it had been validated Shocked)

I must say the Hewlett Packard offices in Bristol (where it was held) are pretty impressive - they even have their own cinema. Cool
Quote:
apart from one shocking bit of advice implying you only needed to validate forms server side if it hadn't been validated with js - setting a flag in the form to say it had been validated

Hmm, nice advice. Hey crackers, set this flag and you can send our server whatever the hell you want.

Good one! Confused

Reply with quote Is it not all we expect from RNIB to be backward, incorrect, and out of date-- at least when it comes to Web accessibility?

Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next