Log in   Register a New Account

Accessify Forum - Discuss Website Accessibility

New to the forum?

Only an email address is required.

Register Here

Already registered? Log In

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

Sony PSP

Reply with quote Has anyone bought one yet and if so are they worth the money?
Reply with quote A friend of mine has one and it's a very nice piece of kit. The screen is fantastic, the downside is the price of large memory sticks and the pretty poor quality of the games currently available. I'm holding off until the v2+ firmware is cracked to support homebrew apps, before then there's not enough value in it for me.
Reply with quote Dan when you say poor quality games do you mean playability or graphics or? It's just any I've looked at the graphics look great, such as the Colin McRae rally or FIFA.
Reply with quote My home experts (15 & 13) think the PSP is ahead of the Nintendo DS Cool but they won't be getting one for Christmas Twisted Evil too skint, too tight, too mean Wink

Mike Abbott
Accessible to everyone
Reply with quote
Daz wrote:
Dan when you say poor quality games do you mean playability or graphics or? It's just any I've looked at the graphics look great, such as the Colin McRae rally or FIFA.

Playability, but that's a personal view. I'm not a huge arcade fan, and prefer strategy or puzzle gaming, so Lumines looks like my sort of title, but I don't see much else that floats my boat at the moment. I'd probably use it more for wireless browsing, music and films.

The graphics are gorgeous, and films are very watchable (but who's going to buy those UMD releases when you can rip from DVD so easily?).

So if you like racers and shooters (Burnout Legends looks pretty good) then you'll get more from it than me, but for now I'm waiting. Very Happy
Reply with quote
danchamp wrote:
A friend of mine has one and it's a very nice piece of kit. The screen is fantastic, the downside is the price of large memory sticks and the pretty poor quality of the games currently available. I'm holding off until the v2+ firmware is cracked to support homebrew apps, before then there's not enough value in it for me.


Orders for GamePark GP2X were opened on Saturday - covered on Slashdot. Its a more open platform than the PSP, and certainly more homebrew game developer friendly.

Seeing that GP32 runs most of the emulators - including the Spectrum (that's a great feature for me - nothing like a portable version of Lords of Midnight, or Elite), its a great cheapish portable game platform that isn't locked off to hobbiest developers. Shipping for £125 - I think the first deliveries are expected in October. And its available in the UK, Europe and Japan. No US launch yet.
Reply with quote
Isofarro wrote:
Orders for GamePark GP2X were opened on Saturday - covered on Slashdot. Its a more open platform than the PSP, and certainly more homebrew game developer friendly.

Now that looks nice, thanks for the heads-up Mike. The only weakness I see is lack of wireless, but for £125 that's forgiveable, especially since you can run...
Quote:
...a portable version of Lords of Midnight, or Elite

...and it'll run Mame, and it uses cheap SD cards (can't you get wifi SD cards?), and it connects to your TV. I'm not usually an early-adopter, but this looks like it'll be an exception. Very Happy
Reply with quote [quote="danchamp"]
Daz wrote:
The graphics are gorgeous, and films are very watchable (but who's going to buy those UMD releases when you can rip from DVD so easily?).


I didn't hear that Shocked Razz

The UMDs are very expensive at £17.99 and £19.99 a touch, I'd say why bother when portable dvd players are costing around £70 now and dvds themselves becoming cheaper.
Reply with quote
Daz wrote:
I didn't hear that Shocked Razz

I meant buying a normal DVD and ripping it for PSP consumption. Honestly! What is this Bit Torrent all those l33t kidz speak of anyway? Confused Wink
Reply with quote ... and if you don't upgrade to v2 firmware you can get the games and put onto mem sticks Twisted Evil

/ahem, allegedly
Reply with quote I've pre-ordered a GP2X and will report back once it ships (in October hopefully). Had a good read around the GP32 sites before making a decision - the clinchers for me were the emulators (SNES, ZX Spectrum, Genesis, Atari ST, Mame), the hardware DivX support, the community, the Linux platform, cheap SD cards, etc, etc...
Reply with quote I'm lazy and can't be bothered reading up, explain more please if you would about the emulators? How do you install?
Reply with quote
Daz wrote:
I'm lazy and can't be bothered reading up, explain more please if you would about the emulators? How do you install?

You install them onto an SD card, then the device detects the executables and makes them available via a menu. The device itself has 64Mb hardwired storage, so I suppose they could be installed there instead.
Reply with quote Make sure to keep us informed Dan. Sometimes (in fact most times) I think game playability has gone downhill since my ZX Spectrum days.

*thinks*
the sabre man series .... mmmm
jetpac ... mmmm
the dizzy series .... mmmm

It's just not the same without POKEs, PEEKs, and the crashy lines up the side of your screen while a game's loading.
Reply with quote If the Speccie games load with a bunch of flashing horizontal lines, I'm sold on one too Razz

Display posts from previous:   

Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

All times are GMT

  • Reply to topic
  • Post new topic