Accessify Forum - Independent Accessibility Discussion Since 2003; Professional, Moderated, Web-based, Archived

New to the forum?

Only an email address is required.

Register Here

Already registered? Log In

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

When links are read incorrectly by Jaws

Reply with quote Hi Guys,
Here’s a curly one.
I have a large complex site running AngularJS.
The first 2 links on the page are read by Jaws incorrectly, instead, the page title is read out! (when tabbing thru the links).
BUT, if you go in reverse (i.e shift tab) the first 2 links are read as normal (the first one is a skip to content link and the second one being a logo)

This weird behaviour only happens on Jaws (latest) on windows running Chrome. IE behaves as normal… and FF reads page title then the link…hmm..

Anyone with any suggestions what this might be?
Reply with quote Have you looked at the generated code to see if there is something funny near the start of the page that could be causing the misinterpretation? Perhaps you could post the relevant code here?

Accessify Forum Administrator ~ Nigel Peck / Starstream
“Everything I say is not meant to be set in stone” – Van Morrison
Reply with quote Hi Nigel,
The code is as plain as can be
Code:
<a tabindex="1" href="#content" title="Skip to content">Skip to content</a>

Even moving the html (skip to content) out of angular and putting as the first element of the body tag didn’t make a difference. Its definitely angular.. but no amount of detective work has proved conclusive. Its very intermittent, dev/int/staging all do it regularly yet current prod i can only make it every so often.

It seems somehow related to time and perhaps the order of events. I am dubious about the manipulation of the page title/meta-data when angular loads (service).. but can’t prove it.

JAWS is seeing the link as being blank (i.e no text) and hence why it defaults to reading the page title. I am aware that you can change link text settings/option in JAWS, but currently its at default (i.e read link text).

Thought someone may have seen this issue before… but maybe I am the first Sad
Reply with quote Is that the code that you see when you use some tool that shows the generated source, after Angular has had its way? Or just the code from View Source?

Reply with quote View source
Reply with quote Ok so use something like web developer toolbar for Firefox, and View Generated Source, and perhaps you will see what is causing the problem?

Reply with quote Get the same result Sad
I didn’t write the angular code, but my opinion is that its likely:
a) the meta service (angular) that rewrites the page-title and page-meta data (on load) OR
b) the scrollto/focus script that is attached to the skip-to-content link

Gut feel is that its the meta service this is somehow upsetting the DOM tree when it loads (but i have been unable to reliable reproduce this)