Accessify Forum - Discuss Website Accessibility

New to the forum?

Only an email address is required.

Register Here

Already registered? Log In

Currently Online

No registered users are online.

Copyright and Web Design

Reply with quote I appreciate this is a year old, but just to reiterate by default work will remain the copyright of the creator unless signed off to a client.

I'm not sure what makes people think otherwise, probably what Bill was suggesting regarding assumptions.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-ownership/c-creator.htm
Reply with quote Oooh, good find. That's how I expected it to work by default.

By my understanding, though, it is common practice for ownership to be transferred to the client upon sale of the work. Which is a stated right on that page, since copyright works much the same way as property.

I guess it boils down to what is in your employer's contract with each client. If you don't mention copyright, it seems reasonable that the creator retains it even after the work is sold? Selling the copyright is an additional act, I mean.
Reply with quote Although there is a team work in building the website.....Its the owner of the site or the one who pays to buy the domain of the site.
Ben Millard wrote:
Oooh, good find. That's how I expected it to work by default.

By my understanding, though, it is common practice for ownership to be transferred to the client upon sale of the work. Which is a stated right on that page, since copyright works much the same way as property.

I guess it boils down to what is in your employer's contract with each client. If you don't mention copyright, it seems reasonable that the creator retains it even after the work is sold? Selling the copyright is an additional act, I mean.

You're right - this stuff has to be laid down in your agreement with the client. If I'm contracted for long periods of time the work tends to be owned by the client, but when I take on smaller jobs for the private sector I specify I own the work and grant them an exclusive licence to publish the work.
Reply with quote It's the same in the art world, it depends who the artist is!

Laughing

Page 2 of 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2